SPARE treats MTSU to month-long Halloween film fest

0
8
The MTSU Student Union in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on Sept. 30, 2024. (Photo by Hannah Carley)

Feature photo by Hannah Carley

Story by Victoria Stone

A poster advertises the Frights & Flicks film series in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on October 3, 2024. (Photo by Victoria Stone)

Every Friday, Blue Gallegos, the films manager for Student Programming and Raider Entertainment (SPARE,) confers with her trusty council to choose films to screen at the STU Theater.

The council makes selections based on what’s popular, what they want to see and what’s available through Swank, MTSU’s provided streaming service. They picked three movies for the Frights & Flicks film series, but have asked for help with a fourth.

“We decided we were going to poll the students to see what Halloween movie they wanted to see,” Gallegos said.

The movies announced for October are:

• ”Longlegs,”  Oct. 3-4
  • ”American Psycho,” Oct. 10-11
  • ”Lisa Frankenstein,” Oct. 24-25

The poll for Halloween night’s movie is ongoing — students can vote on by scanning a QR code on posters around campus.

The options for Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 are:

•  “Halloweentown”
  • “The Blair Witch Project”
  • “Scream”
  • “Bride of Chucky”
  • “Evil Dead 2” 

There is also a write-in option for original suggestions. 

”I’m personally rooting for ‘The Blair Witch Project,’” Gallegos said. “Although, I won’t spoil it, but there is a different, very clear winner so far.”

On Halloween night, SPARE will decorate the theater and provide goody bags and snacks for students who show up to watch the winning movie.

The STU Theater is located on the second floor of the Student Union building. Showtimes are 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. every Thursday and Friday. Admission is free for students with a MyMT Event Pass.

Victoria Stone is a Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.