MTSU football falls 48-21 on the road against Louisiana Tech

0
2
Jaiden Credle runs the rock against Tennessee Tech, 8-31-2024. (Photo by Erin Douglas)

Featured Photo by Erin Douglas 

Story by Brett Walker 

Middle Tennessee football (1-5, 0-2) fell 48-21 against Louisiana Tech (2-3, 1-1) on Thursday night at Joe Aillet Stadium.  

Both offenses came out firing on all cylinders, scoring a combined four touchdowns in the first 12:24. The Blue Raider offense came to play early, scoring touchdowns on their first two drives of the game.  

Redshirt senior tight end Holden Willis gashed the La Tech defense in the first quarter hauling in four catches for 74 yards and a touchdown.  

MTSU safeties Jared Douglas and Rickey Smith look to the sideline, 8-31-2024. (Photo by Erin Douglas)

Middle Tennessee’s offense started out hot, but the defense certainly didn’t. Coming off its best performance of the season against a stout Memphis team, MTSU’s defense posted its worst showing of the season.  

La Tech came into Thursday’s contest with a quarterback in just his second start, but he looked like a poised veteran against MTSU. Redshirt freshman Evan Bullock dissected the Blue Raider defense all night long finishing the game 18-25 passing for 290 yards and six touchdowns (five passing, one rushing).  

Thursday’s game also marked a change in assignment on the La Tech offensive staff. Bulldogs head coach Sonny Cumbie elected to give up play calling responsibilities after a slow start to the season offensively. Cumbie turned over the role to co-offensive coordinator Nathan Young who ignited the LA Tech offense on Thursday. 

Young’s offense reached a season high of 27 points before halftime and finished with 48 in total, marking the Bulldogs highest scoring game since a 51-point outing against Northwestern State in 2023. La Tech ended the game with 551 yards and seven total touchdowns.  

Additionally, MTSU struggled mightily with third down defense once again, a common theme throughout the season. The defense allowed the Bulldogs to convert on their first nine third downs and finish 12-16 on the night.  

Middle Tennessee’s offense kept pace with La Tech early on, but following an Omari Kelly fumble late in the first quarter, the Blue Raiders never recovered. Following the fumble, MTSU’s next five drives ended in the order of punt, punt, interception, punt and halftime.  

Despite falling down early, the Bulldogs jumped out to a 34-14 lead at the half and never trailed again.  

Nick Vattiato hands off to Frank Peasant against Tennessee Tech, 8-31-2024. (Photo by Erin Douglas)

The third quarter housed a scary moment for all parties as La Tech defensive back Michael Richard collapsed on the field after landing a big hit. Richard initially got up after the hit before falling to the ground, causing teammates to signal trainers onto the field.  

Medical staff tended to Richard for 18 minutes before taking him away by stretcher and transporting him to a local hospital. Near the broadcast’s end, CBS Sports confirmed that Richard was responsive, and his mother was with him at the hospital. 

After the tense moment, play resumed and La Tech sealed the win, 48-21. The Blue Raiders need a short-term memory of Thursday’s defeat, as they play again Tuesday night in a home contest against Kennesaw State (0-5, 0-1). 

Brett Walker is the sports editor for MTSU Sidelines 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.